January 27, 2011
I’m 71yrs old. I’m a Grandma of 6 and mother of 3 adult children. I’m also an accomplished Wellness Coach, Licensed Massage Therapist, Author, Speaker, Certified Reiki Practitioner and Licensed Zumba Fitness Instructor (Basic, Advanced, Gold, Aqua and ZumbAtomic). In 5yrs I’ll be 76; in 10yrs, 81; in 15yrs, 86 and in 20yrs, I’ll be 91yrs old. These facts take my breath away. These facts terrify me and have stopped me from living fully since my 70th birthday.
This morning, I was listening to a podcast from Joel Osteen, Minister of Lakewood Church in Houston, TX who said that the day we stop planning for our future, is the day we stop living. He goes on to say that when we’re not planning for our future, we’re just breathing. These words penetrated my soul and I realized that I stopped setting future goals and was no longer considering long term plans 5, 10 or 20yrs from now. I had nothing to look forward to.
When I was younger, I was feisty and courageous and always felt I was ageless- that I could do, be and have anything I wanted. I was unstoppable with an enormous future ahead of me filled with fun, adventure and accomplishments. I celebrated each birthday with a party, inviting those who were dear to me, my colleagues, friends and family. However, my thinking shifted when I reached my 70th birthday. I had a major attitude shift on a very deep level and I became severely depressed. I was living my life moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day, planning nothing for ‘my future’. Why? Because I felt I was living in my future. I soon realized that I had considered a ‘senior citizen’ 65+ as a sickly, old person with white hair, who retired, moved to Florida, had knee an hip replacements, went into a nursing home and died.
My future, 5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs or 20yrs from now, was too frightening to consider making plans or setting goals. I reviewed my life at 70 from a negative perspective.
- I was no longer married.
- Gravity seemed to be changing my body, a little less firm and tight as it once was.
- I was forced to evacuate my beautiful home due to a flood from my upstairs neighbor’s 60 gal hot water heater.
- My savings was depleted due to repairs, storage fees and several relocations while my home was being reconstructed.
- I no longer believed I was ageless and I stopped believing I could be, have and do anything I wanted.
From the outside, no one knew what I was feeling as I didn’t discuss it. It was too uncomfortable to face these feelings. From the outside, it looked like I had it all together: Successful Health & Wellness Coach, Licensed Massage Therapist, Licensed Zumba Fitness Instructor, Author, Speaker and Certified Reiki Practitioner.
Yet, I no longer felt my future was a wide expanse of choices, fun and exciting adventures. Extremely grateful that I continue to be youthful and energetic, healthy, on no meds and with no medical conditions, I was not living. I was merely existing, breathing. I allowed all the discouragements and difficulties I experienced to take away the spring in my step. I learned to cover-up what was going on deep within me and just survive. I had nothing to look forward to.
My negativity and fears arose from seeing a majority of seniors , 71, 76, 86 and 91+yrs old, who are not healthy, have had many surgeries, whose minds are riddled with Alzheimer’s or dementia, who are in nursing homes, wheelchairs or using walkers. My thoughts drifted towards the questions, “Will I be healthy? Will I be able to teach Zumba? Will I be able to do massages or drive or….or……?” I shudder at the thought of seeing myself unable to do all this.
This is what faith is all about. Taking the necessary steps, acting as if my dreams will manifest. Every setback is a setup for a comeback, says Joel Osteen, Minister of Lakewood Church in Houston, TX.
- THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT TELLING THE TRUTH TO YOURSELF AND/OR TO SOMEONE ELSE, IS THAT YOU NOW HAVE A CHOICE TO CHANGE.
- WE CAN’T CHANGE THE AGING PROCESS, BUT WE CAN SLOW IT DOWN BY LIVING AND THINKING DIFFERENTLY.
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE ON A PATH OF TRANSFORMATION
ARE YOU READY TO SHOUT? TODAY IS THE DAY I CHANGE MY LIFE FOREVER
- WHAT CAN I DO TO STAY HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PASSIONATE FROM THIS DAY FORWARD?
- WHAT ADVENTURES AND DREAMS HAVE I SET ASIDE THAT I AM READY TO FULFILL ?
- WHAT DO I WANT TO DO THAT I HAVEN’T DONE YET?
NEW HEALTH GOALS:
- Take vitamin/mineral supplements/herbs
- Eat at least 10 fruits/veggies per day, local, organic preferably
- Avoid ‘fat-free’ foods loaded with sugar
- Cut down on foods containing white sugar, white flour
- Eat more whole grains
- Move your body. Park your car far from your destination and walk. Join a gym. Take a dance class. Walk around the supermarket a few extra laps. Take the stairs not the escalator or elevator
- Have monthly or more massages
- Have a chiropractic adjustment every few months as a preventive measure
- Make new friends and visit long time friends either by phone or in person
- Challenge your brain. Learn new skills
- Sleep 8hrs or more
- Drink 6-10 glasses of water /day
- Listen to more music and reduce TV watching
- Laugh more often. Watch funny movies, learn new jokes.
- Take the Landmark Forum or if you’re a graduate, sign up for a seminar
YOUR BUCKET LIST:
- Make a list of adventures you’d like to experience
- Make a list of places you’d like to visit
- Make a list of fun things you used to do that you’re ready to do again
- Make a list of people you want to meet or visit
MAKE A VISION BOARD
Cut out pictures from magazines of all the adventures, dreams, people you have in mind.
Paste it on your vision board (made from oak tag or cork board or a photo album) and look at it every day.
ARE YOU COMMITTED TO GETTING YOUR FIRE BACK? I AM!!!
- I know now that I am committed to getting my fire back.
- There is more in me just as there is more in you.
- We are not average or ordinary
- We are Extraordinary
- Now is the time for us to dream a new dream if our original dream didn’t work out
- We’ve come too far to stop now
- Over time, it’s easy to lose our passion because we let difficulties and discouragement win
- Challenges are tests of our faith
- Spirit has great things in store for us now or we wouldn’t be alive.
IF YOU NEED SUPPORT IN SETTING YOUR GOALS, ENCOURAGEMENT OR COACHING, CONTACT ME: